Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Nola's pups first meal!

Nola's puppies have been introduced to food this week! They are really enjoying it and Nola is oh so happy that she doesn't have to feed them all the time now. The first introduction is chicken necks, yes raw chicken necks. The puppies can't really eat them at this age, but I like to introduce the idea of food by giving them chicken necks to numb and chew. Then once they have had enough, Mom can go in and eat them up for lunch. I usually do this for a few days before I really start them on solid food.


Then once that stage is over...I start with basic ground raw meat. Chicken and turkey are the two I start off with first. They all seem to enjoy the eating part, although they are getting quite a bit from Nola still, so I am only offering them food twice a day right now. In the morning I give them chicken necks to numb and in the evening is the ground meal. Once they start chowing down, it will increase to 2 meals of ground and 1 meal of Raw Meaty Bones (necks quickly get to be too little for Cardigans, so we switch to wings fairly soon).

No comments: