Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dolly puppies arrive!!!

Since the blog is more of a story place, I can tell more about my morning. I went to bed late with no real progress with Dolly, just acting about the same, panting, very uncomfortable but not acting in labor yet. I woke up in the middle of the night, nothing changed. When I woke up at 6 am (after 2 hrs from the last time I was awake) their was one dead puppy. I worked on her for 30 minutes as she did have some color in her still, but no go. When Mom arrived about 7 am, she said that it looked more like bruising then real pink, so our guess is that she was long gone. I left for school close to after that. We basically decided that Dolly, being miserable and not acting like she is pushing, was probably a candidate for a c-section. Mom gave her until 8:30 am when our vet opened. No progress, so off to the vets they went. I left school early and got to the vets just as they were making the decision on whether to do a c-section or not. The vet basically gave us two options, the first was wait a little longer, give her some drugs and try and see if she will start pushing normally, but most likely would result in c-section, or the second would be to just open her up now and get it done. We went for the second as Dolly being so miserable, we both felt that we had a risk of loosing more puppies if we waited much longer. As things were being prepared, we all cast a vote on how many puppies would arrive. One of the vet techs won with a total of 8 puppies born via c-section, the 1 dead, so total was 9. It was the first time I actually was there for the whole procedure and helped revive puppies, so it was definitely an experience. The breakdown, 2 blue merle boys, 1 black boy, 3 blue merle girls, 2 black girls. Dolly is doing great, seems to be a very good mother and all puppies are healthy! Even though I hate doing c-sections, I am glad we went this route and have live puppies.

5 comments:

Léo said...

Well, no wonder you were a little punchy at handling class today!!!

Wow.

Kim said...

Lots of chrome on those babies!

Kady Cannon said...

Very pretty babies. Can't wait to see them growing up.

Experience has taught me to go ahead and do c-sections to avoid losing babies. Good call.

starrynights said...

Love the pretty flashy babies! Can't wait to see more pics as they grow. Sorry to hear Dolly had to have a c-section, but glad that you have 8 healthy pups now. Who is the sire?

Emily said...

Father is my red merle, Sparky. So as my sister says, they are Spark-ly puppies. LOL